BMW is perhaps best known for creating, if not dominating, the sports sedan category for the past few decades. Although contemporary competitors can legitimately claim parity with BMW’s 3-series today, the same could not be said during the 60’s and 70’s.
It was during this era that BMW established itself as a global leader in the compact car arena with the spiritual predecessor to the 3-series: its iconic 2002 model, particularly in Tii and Turbo form. BMW was one of the few manufacturers to incorporate independent rear suspension in the 2002 (now the de facto standard for many sports cars), endowing it with exceptional handling for the time.
Aesthetically with a standard three-box design, thin A and C pillars for greater visibility, and excellent handling dynamics, the 2002 easily won the hearts of enthusiasts seeking the ultimate combination of performance, versatility, and sporty driving dynamics.
This particular 2002 is another Rare Rides production out of Michigan, known for their amazing ’02 builds. And this one is no different, except turned to 11. This is a grab-you-by-the-throat resto-mod beginning with the arresting Porsche Signal Green paint, turbo-look flares, authentic BBS RS wheels, and full custom interior with black leather, new carpeting, and suede accents.
Under the bonnet, the heart of this beast is comprised of a 1.8 straight 4-cylinder M42 found in the US E30 318iS, but now with a turbo and intercooler. Other key mechanical upgrades include an LSD, Wilwood brakes, and a complete performance suspension. Definitely not for the purist or the faint of heart. But if you like your Bimmers big, bold, and beautiful, this may be the one for you. Now available on Ebay with a current bid of $20,100.
Engine: 1.8 inline 4-cylinder M42 turbo
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Price: current bid $20,100 (Reserve not met)
Before I begin I would encourage all serious buyers to contact me directly at: 517-425-0129. Although this is a 7 day auction I reserve the right to end auction early as car is for sale locally.
You are looking at probably one of the more thorough 2002 custom builds out there. This 1976 BMW 2002 combines a beautiful and aggressive appearance, and backs it up with well-done drivetrain/mechanicals front to rear. Definitely an eye catching color in Porsche Signal Green (as seen on GT3 RS), sharp interior combo of black and suede, and of course the turbocharged motor. Recently finished build, just attended its first showing at EuroHangar 2013 and was voted one of the top 15 cars in a field of almost 400. Overall we’ve been very pleased with the response to the car and it’s certainly the only one you’ll find in this desirable combination. Description as follows:
* Professionally built custom themed interior: Black and suede + green stitching / accents throughout
* Vintage Recaro Sport Seats
* Turbo embroidered headrests
* Custom console with VDO gauges
* VDO electronic tach and speedo
* Aluminum pedals
* Momo steering wheel
* Momo shift knob
* Very nice salt and pepper custom carpet, courtesy of “Esty”
* New headliner
* Interior completely sound deadened with Dynamat
* Base coat/clear coat finish in Porsche 911 GT3 signal green
* All new weather strip throughout
* Factory OEM turbo fascia and flares
* Fiberglass Euro style rear bumper
* Custom graphics inspired by BMW’s original 2002 Turbo graphics
* OEM turbo trunk spoiler
* Flush fit Euro side markers
* Rear taillights upgraded to LED
* BMW M42 engine + turbo/intercooler
* Aluminum radiator with electric fan
* 5 speed trans with short shift linkage
* 3.90 limited slip rear diff
* Wilwood big brake kit (front)
* Rear drums converted to disc-brakes
* Bilstein shocks
* H&R performance lowering springs
* Front and rear strut braces
* Front and rear sway bars
* Battery relocated to trunk
* Factory turbo stub axles
* Custom 2″ exhaust with rear center exit
* BBS RS 15×8.5 15×9.0 wheels, professionally built to our custom specs (polished lips, all new hardware, gloss black PC barrels, gorgeous charcoal gray PC faces/waffles, etc… no expense spared)
* Hancook RS3 high-performance tires, 225/45/15 all the way around
Please take the time to review all the pics. Don’t hesitate to call with further questions: 517-425-0129. I also have contact with a reasonable shipping company and would be glad to assist. Vehicle offered by Rare Rides, a licensed MI dealer.